Induction heating system for long and flat products
The induction heating furnace is the most environmentally friendly solution for reaching the required rolling temperature without using gas or smoke emissions, and drastically reducing scale formation.
Based on the experience of endless and hot charging process and the know-how in converters units, Danieli Automation has developed a new induction heating system, called Q-Heat. It is possible to heat a metal without direct contact and without open flames or other heat sources (like IR). Additionally, the induction heating furnace is ready in real time: no need for long start or stop sequences, as with traditional reheating furnaces. Q-HEAT therefore maximizes productivity because heat is developed directly and instantly inside the workpiece.
Induction heating is the process of heating an electrically conducting object by electromagnetic induction, where eddy currents are generated within the metal and resistance leads to Joule heating of the metal. So it is possible to heat a metal without direct contact and without open flames or other heat sources (like IR) An induction heater consists of an electromagnet (coil), through which a high-frequency alternating current (AC) is passed. The frequency of AC used depends on the object size, material type, coupling (between the work coil and the object to be heated) and the penetration depth. An induction heating system is composed by an inductor (to generate the magnetic field) and a converter (to supply the inductor with a time-varying electrical current).
The control structure is based on a powerful, state-of-the art Danieli Automation Process Automation Controller (DA-PAC), that communicates with power part controller (modulator board) with Ethercat and with field bus with Level 1 plant automation.
- Induction heating eliminates the quality issue associated to open flame, torch heating and similar methods;
- Q-Heat maximizes productivity because heat is developed directly and instantly inside the workpiece;
- Improved product quality due to no-contact of the parts to be heated with direct flame;
- Environmental friendly: induction heating do not burn traditional fossil fuels. As a consequence it's a safer process by eliminating smoke, waste heat, emissions and loud noise;
- Reduced energy consumption, because it's an energy-efficient process that convert most of energy into useful heat;
- Immediate availability of the heating;
- Scale formation is strongly dependent on the furnace temperature and heating time. Using QHeat the heating time is orders of magnitude (seconds versus minutes) shorter than gas furnace, therefore the scale formation is negligible. This results in a significant saving both in term of loss of material and scale handling.